Half the battle of healthy living is deciding you’re going to stick with it day after day. Use these six quotes as inspiration when you’re feeling lackluster about the next task at hand.
Write them on post-its, stick them on your bathroom mirror, and keep on devoting yourself to living your healthiest life.
1. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” —Aristotle
When it comes to changing the future of our health by getting stronger and eating healthier, it is the choices we make every day that matter in the long run. This is why I never encourage a crash diet or extreme exercise routines. Instead, take the long road by making intentional changes you can maintain for a lifetime.
2. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward.” — Amelia Eaheart
Change is uncomfortable and sticking with new healthy living habits isn’t easy. But, without the discomfort of change, we can never see growth. It’s impossible to accomplish our health goals if we aren’t willing to step outside of what is easy and comfortable and commit to working out in new ways, introducing new eating habits, or giving up old vices.
3. “No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn’t trying.” —Tony Robbins
Do you know what I’ve noticed? Perfection stands in the way of a lot of people with big health goals. Maybe they commit to a new habit, but can’t keep moving past a single slip up. Perhaps their workout routine isn’t going quite as they planned. Brush it off, keep moving forward, you are already doing more than everyone sleeping in while you’re at the gym.
4. “Strength does not come from the physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Gandhi
Your biggest adversary in the gym isn’t going to be heavyweights. It will be your own mind telling you that you’re too tired, you’re not strong enough, or you don’t have time. Every time you push past the doubts and move forward with your goals is a victory because you are building the evidence that you have a strong will that will carry you to the finish line.
5. “When you feel like quitting, think about why you started.” – Anonymous
Connect with your “why” for working out. I know that so many of us have goals to look different or get stronger, but I honestly think long-term motivation comes from something deeper. How does exercise make you feel? Meditate on that. Who are you trying to set an example for? Let that drive you. Internal motivators will keep you committed to healthy living when results are slow.
6. “Nobody is perfect, so get over the fear of being or doing everything perfectly. Besides, perfect is boring.” – Jillian Michaels
Don’t be boring! Have the courage to try new things and set big goals. Find ways to have fun with your workouts — listen to good music, get outdoors, take a new class. Don’t get so caught up in performance that you miss that joy of moving your body.
17 6 10